The steel industry does not compromise on environmental responsibility. Steel is the world’s most recycled material and 100% recyclable. Steel is timeless. We have improved steel production technology to the point where only the limits of science confine our ability to improve. We need a new approach to push these boundaries. As the world looks for solutions to its environmental challenges, all of these depend on steel.
- Around 90% of water used in the steel industry is cleaned, cooled and returned to source. Most of the loss is due to evaporation. Water returned to rivers and other sources is often cleaner than when extracted.
- The energy used to produce a tonne of steel has been reduced by around 60% in the last 50 years.
- Steel is the most recycled material in the world, with around 630 Mt recycled annually.
- In 2020, The recovery and use of steel industry co-products has reached a worldwide material efficiency rate of 97.86%.
- Steel is the main material used in delivering renewable energy: solar, tidal, geothermal and wind.