World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 162.7 million tonnes (Mt) in April 2022, a 5.1% decrease compared to April 2021.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.2 Mt in April 2022, down 5.4% on April 2021. Asia and Oceania produced 121.4 Mt, down 4.0%. The EU (27) produced 12.3 Mt, down 5.4%. Europe, Other produced 4.2 Mt. up 0.5%. The Middle East produced 3.3 Mt, down 14.5%, North America produced 9.4 Mt, down 5.1%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 7.3 Mt, down 18.4%. South America produced 3.6 Mt, down 4.8%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Apr 2022 (Mt)||% change Apr 22/21||Jan-Apr
|% change Jan-Apr 22/21|
|Asia and Oceania||121.4||-4.0||452.6||-7.7|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||7.3||-18.4||31.3||-11.0|
|Total 64 countries||162.7||-5.1||619.1||-7.1|
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 92.8 Mt in April 2022, down 5.2% on April 2021. India produced 10.1 Mt, up 6.2%. Japan produced 7.5 Mt, down 4.4%. The United States produced 6.9 Mt, down 3.9%. Russia is estimated to have produced 6.4 Mt, up 0.6%. South Korea produced 5.5 Mt, down 4.1%. Germany produced 3.3 Mt, down 1.1%. Turkey produced 3.4 Mt, up 1.6%. Brazil produced 2.9 Mt, down 4.0%. Iran is estimated to have produced 2.2 Mt, down 20.7%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Apr 2022 (Mt)||% change Apr 22/21||Jan-Apr 2022 (Mt)||% change Jan-Apr 22/21|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
Notes to Editors:
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
- A subscription with access to the iron and crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to worldsteel on a monthly basis is available for €1,075 via the worldsteel bookshop. This subscription includes access to 20 years of data in the Steel Statistical Yearbooks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Information on capacity can be found on the OECD website.