The Steelie Awards recognise member companies for their contribution to the steel industry over a one-year period.
The Steelies are awarded in six categories:
Excellence in low-carbon steel production:
- HBIS Group Co., Ltd. – Unique coke oven gas zero-reforming DRI process combined with EAF
Innovation of the year:
- Big River Steel, a US Steel Company Development of a high-strength, high-formable, lean, single-phase, nano-precipitation strengthened sheet steel for automotive applications with a minimum tensile strength of 780MPa
Excellence in sustainability
- POSCO – Fe-enhanced slag silicate fertilizer: How application of blast furnace slag reduces methane emissions in rice farming
Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment
- CITIC Pacific Special Steel Group Co., Ltd – Innovation practice in China’s first Product Category Rule (PCR) for special steel used in automotive components
Excellence in education and training
- Ternium – From conventional classroom training to high-engagement immersive training for operators using virtual reality – development of a continuous casting simulator
Excellence in communications programmes
- Gerdau S.A. – Infinite stage: with Gerdau, steel becomes key attraction at world’s largest music and entertainment festival.
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.