This page covers the impact of COVID-19 outbreak on worldsteel activities and meetings. It also provides guidance on how companies in affected regions can reduce risk. For more information on this subject scroll down to the section below titled: Message from worldsteel Director, Safety, Heath and Environment Andrew Purvis.
Message from worldsteel Director General Edwin Basson
16 March 2020
In these difficult times many nations including the Belgian government have moved to a position of “social distancing” in an effort to delay the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Consequently we have taken a number of steps to make sure that we are complying as best we can:
- We have cancelled or postponed all our upcoming membership committee meetings. In a few cases they may go ahead electronically but the majority will be reconvened at a later date.
- We will now be using the principle of working from home. However we will all be available through email and phone and our project work will continue as far as we can.
- We are now planning to issue our Short Range Outlook (SRO) in June. (updated on 9 April 2020)
We will review all aspects of this regularly and make any further announcements as necessary.
World Steel Association
Message from worldsteel Director, Safety, Health and Environment, Andrew Purvis
18 March 2020
While the spread of the COVID-19 virus has been impacting China since November 2019, the World Health Organization declared a global pandemic on 11 March.
Cases have now been detected in most countries worldwide and community spread is being detected in a growing number of countries. The virus is having a profound impact on global financial markets and is likely to impact a large proportion of worldsteel’s members, directly or indirectly.
What should I / my company do?
- Please refer to worldsteel’s Guidance Note (download the report here).
- Follow COVID-19 advice for the public and the basic protective measures against the new coronavirus published on World Health Organization web page here.
- Monitor the status of the development of the pandemic on the official World Health Organization web page here.
More information is available on the worldsteel extranet (password protected member-only site).
My thoughts go to all those affected during these difficult times.
Director, Safety, Health and Environment
World Steel Association