The ten steel-producing companies recognised as the 2022 Steel Sustainability Champions are:
Sustainability Champions from previous years
Sustainability is a core business requirement, vital to a company’s continuing license to operate. An ethically and socially responsible approach can act as a competitive advantage for forward-thinking steel companies.
worldsteel has therefore launched an industry-wide sustainability recognition programme to encourage steel companies to increase their efforts, set higher standards and make further progress.
The programme is an effective vehicle to demonstrate stronger commitment and proactive engagement of the industry to sustainable development.
Sustainability Champions eligibility
- Steel companies must be a member of the World Steel Association.
- Companies must fulfil all the requirements in the three criteria above.
- Evaluation consideration for eligibility will be closed at the end of December each year.
- Eligible companies are recognised in the April Board of Members meeting in the following year.
- Recognition is valid for one year only. Consideration for eligibility takes place every year.
How can a company qualify
1. Commitment & Action: Charter Member
Companies must sign the worldsteel Sustainability Charter and become Charter Member.
For steel companies to be eligible to sign the Charter, companies must provide evidence relating to all the 20 criteria.
2. Measurement: LCI data provision
Companies must provide data on Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) data to worldsteel’s data collection programme.
The data for LCI should cover more than 60% of the company’s crude steel production and should be less than 5 years old.
3. Excellence: The Steelie Awards and Safety and Health Recognition
Companies must be shortlisted in one of the 6 categories of the worldsteel Steelie Awards or must be recognised in the Safety and Health Recognition Programme.
The Steelie Awards categories are: Excellence in low-carbon steel production, Innovation of the year, Excellence in sustainability, Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment, Excellence in education and training, and Excellence in communications programmes. More details on the Safety and Health Recognition Programme can be found here.
Sustainability Champions programme objectives
More details on this programme are available on the worldsteel extranet (members only).